Hmm, I Think We’ll Keep Looking, Dear

August 27, 2008 @ 6:22 am | Filed under:

Beanie has a suggestion for what we should name the baby: Peccatoribus.

Me: “Um. Isn’t that Latin for ‘sinners’?”

Bean: “Yup. But it’s got a nice ring to it, don’t you think?”

***

This reminds me of three-year-old Jane’s first choice for Rose’s name, some ten years ago:

“Bloomingdales Abednego Peterson.”

(We lived in New York City at the time, remember.)

We went with her second choice instead. You’re welcome, Rose.

• Yet another of life's eternal mysteries
    Yet another of life’s eternal mysteries
  • Beanie's Joke of the Day
    Beanie’s Joke of the Day
    Out of the Mouths of Ten-Year-Olds
  • I Can't Keep Up
    I Can’t Keep Up
    Color me stumped

Comments

WendyinVA says:

ROFL! That’s going to make me giggle every time I think of it.

Nancy says:

Well, you have to admit it *does* have a ring to it! My third daughter narrowly being named “Bertandernie”.

Nancy

Laura says:

That brought a smile to my face and some comic relief to a bit of a frazzled day!
    Thanks for sharing!

Christine M says:

You can’t say your children aren’t creative!

Mary Ellen Barrett says:

That had me roaring with laughter. My “Princess Bride” loving children are currently favoring Inigo Montoya for a boy and Buttercup for a girl. A series of rainy days had them indoors watching movies and I’m living to regret it.

patience says:

Lol!

You do have to admit though Jane’s second choice was inspired.

mamacrow says:

my hubby’s far worse.. He threatened Tressiar and Tibirius several times!

Reminds me of my friend’s little boy wanting to name the cat Tractor.. they compromised with Digger 😀

Emily says:

That’s too funny! When I was pregnant with the twins, my then 2 year old daughter wanted to name them Moona and Goona. Which is no better than my father in law wanting to name them Sam and Adam (like the beer).

I’m pregnant with our 4th, and the boys think we should name the baby Toad, after the little toadstool guys on Super Mario brothers. They decided that even if I don’t name the baby Toad, they’ll still call it that. Poor kid.

Penny in VT says:

Beanie sure has some style!

My eldest wanted to names her sister “Chocolate Chip Cookie” – then Hope Cookie. We settled on something completely different, but still call her Cookie ’cause she’s so sweet 🙂

Rose says:

Actually, I think “Peccatoribus” (did I spell that right? Too lazy to, you know, SCROLL UP THE TOP OF THE PAGE TO LOOK AT IT, so I’m just giving it my best shot). But, anyway, as I was saying, Peccatoribus would fit Huck better, because that’s what he is! (As I’m writing this, he’s poking Rilla’s back with a burr, all the time laughing maliciously. Case in point. And as for MY would-be name, while I suppose my real name is slightly better (I mean, can you imagine saying that at Piano Recitals? “Hi, my name is Bloomingdales Abednego Peterson, no, I’m not kidding, and I will be playing Eagle’s Fight, by Melody Bober. EEK!) But still, it makes a great story! (And actually, we could call me Bloom, or something cute like that, couldn’t we? And Rose would still fit, ‘cuz it’s a kind of flower, so it BLOOMS!)

Rose says:

Hey, I think I got it right! And on my first try too!