Lookie What I Made!

December 28, 2008 @ 9:37 am | Filed under:

Just please, please don’t look too closely. My stitching is deplorable. I really cannot manage to sew a straight seam to save my life. Scott says he likes to listen to me sew because of the inanities that come out of my mouth while I bungle the job… “Son of a b…utternut squash!”

Anyway, here’s my little diaper case, and yes, I am inordinately proud. It holds a couple of diapers and a travel wipes container.

I followed this pattern at Blessed Roots. I don’t know how to use my machine’s buttonholer, so I made the little strap instead. And I left off the wristlet strap.

This was the practice model. I’m itching to try again with some beeyooteeful scrap fabric sent to me by a most indulgent and kindhearted chum. I think I’ll make the top flap smaller this time. The pattern allows a flap big enough that the diaper case could, in theory, double as a changing pad, but that would only work while baby is very small. I’d rather use a blanket.

Another Birthday Present: Dear Jane
    The Mothers in My Books Are Expert Seamstresses
    Blanket Revisited
  • Handcrafts Blogroll: Who's Missing?
    Handcrafts Blogroll: Who’s Missing?

Comments

It looks perfect from where I am sitting. What a great idea!

And my eight year old kindly suggests, “Oh chicken!” as a substitute. It is a useful phrase muttered often while driving to and fro.

“It looks perfect from where I am sitting.”

Well then, I sure do like where you sit. πŸ˜‰

ROFL “Oh chicken!!” Perfect!

Meredith says:

It’s lovely Lissa and as I am still sewing on my grandmother’s 1908 Singer, I tend to “mutter” often as well when stitching or should I say re-stitching something for the second of third time πŸ™‚ Great job!!

Christine M says:

Lissa – it’s lovely! Great job! I got a new sewing machine for Christmas – so maybe I can make some of the projects that have been stewing around in my head for awhile.

Michele Q. says:

There’s a saying in sewing circles that if it can pass the galloping horse test (as in looks good while you are galloping past on a horse)it’s good enough.

Looks like you’re good. πŸ™‚ It’s adorable!

Penny in VT says:

clap clap whoot whoot cheer!!

hm, I wonder if I could make a journal/daybook cover like that.

or, I should say, I wonder if it’s possible to make a daybook cover, since I can’t even sew with duct tape!

Can’t *wait* for baby news – – – best wishes to all!

Very nice indeed. I think the fabrics on this “practice” are cute in themselves. Well done, and special congratulations on being able to make anything at all at this stage of pregnancy.

Regarding expressions of aggravation – around here we say “crivens”, which we got from Pratchett’s “Wee Free Men” series.

mamacrow says:

when I saw the title of this blog I got very excited indeed!

but your diaper case is just as nice πŸ™‚

well, nearly!

KC says:

Looks great! I can’t wait to see that gorgeous fabric Jenn sent you. She gets the best stuff.

Theresa says:

Woo hoo! Great job!In my book it’s good enough if I can recognize what it is!LOL! And as you know, our current curseword around here is “Oh, Maverick!”

Leonie says:

Woo hoo! Love the pics – and the words that you say when sewing. πŸ™‚

Karen Edmisten says:

Hey, I like the galloping horse test, Michele. I think it’s lovely, Lissa!

cici says:

it looks great. and forget the buttonholer. two words: 1) snaps or 2) velcro.

i am partial to snaps.

i must say i am always impressed by people who go for the trial runs. i never have the patience. i’d just find another project for the cute fabric and use the one you made. or do you have that much spare time? πŸ˜‰

kristen laurence says:

So pretty, Lissa! You most certainly should be proud. And do figure out that button-holer on your machine – it opens up a whole world of possibilities!