- Matthew Yglesias » Relative Prices Blogging
“In Agatha Christie’s autobiography, she mentioned how she never thought she would ever be wealthy enough to own a car – nor so poor that she wouldn’t have servants.”
- Octopus removes valve, floods floor of Santa Monica Pier Aquarium – Boing Boing
- The amazing Amazon Kindle is bad news for the publishing industry. – By Farhad Manjoo – Slate Magazine
“Say Barnes & Noble signed a deal to sell the next Twilight book at a huge discount. But with a catch—the book would be published in invisible ink, and in order to read it you’d need to buy a special Barnes & Noble black light. This is ludicrous, of course, and no bookstore would ever attempt such a deal. But what’s the Kindle other than a fancy digital decoder ring?”
(Personally, I don’t agree that the Kindle is bad news for publishing–my hunch is that it’ll get more people reading, and the more people read, the more books they tend to buy. But this guy’s point about Amazon requiring all e-books for the Kindle to be sold ONLY through Amazon, yeah, that could be a problem.)
- On a different Kindle issue:# Neil Gaiman’s Journal: The end of the Audiobook argument
” An audio book, read by someone who’s good at it, is an audio book, an experience that’s different to, sometimes complementary to, the words on the page. A computer reading to you is a computer reading to you. And at the point where they can read books to us as well as we can read them aloud to each other, we will have other things to worry about.”
- The Web Guitar Teacher: 1.99 Video Guitar Lessons
Short web tutorials for specific guitar riffs. Cool.
- Imaginary Blog: February 2009 Carnival of Children’s Literature: Valentine’s Edition
And there went June
Links for June 18, 2008
Links for June 3, 2008
Links for March 25, 2008
Sometimes I just steal stuff from Scott’s Facebook page.