Out of Control

March 19, 2009 @ 8:53 am | Filed under: ,

My current TBR stack. Stacks, rather, collected from around the house for one brief precarious moment.

marchtbr

A mix of review copies, library books, kid requests (β€œYou’ve GOT to read this, Mom!”), and titles gleaned from favorite bookish blogs like Semicolon and Mental Multivitamin.

Doesn’t it make your heart go pitty-pat? Such a comfy feeling, knowing there’s plenty to choose from the next time I sit down to nurse the baby…

(And how about my super-classy bedside table? Yes, that’s the top of a bar stool you’re seeing. This is what happens when you spend your money on books instead of furniture.)

Books We Love Part 2
    69 days and counting
    Hucklebooks: Four Recent Reads
    Best Summer Reading
    Sunday Links

Comments

Erin says:

Book rich, but furniture poor? Not a bad trade-off in my opinion!

Mary G. says:

Lissa … can’t wait to see that pile dwindle and hear the reviews! I read Austenland on your rec (and really enjoyed it!) … so, I’m waiting with my library on hold to see which you like …

MelanieB says:

Delightful.

I’m a big fan of Josephine Tey. Was that one of Jane’s recommends? I know she’s been doing Agatha Christie lately and it’s a logical jump.

I’ve given up all but spiritually focused reading for Lent, so I’m going away now to avoid temptation. Your blog is dangerous.

Jane says:

Hey, Mom, what about ‘The Mysterious Benedict Society’? I don’t see that in the pile…

I’m guessing that’s still on my nightstand.

Oh you’re right! I knew I was missing something. How long can we borrow it for?

Ooh, Melanie, sorry to be taunting you! You could post a stack of chocolate bars to get even with me. πŸ˜‰

And yes, the Josephine Tey is a Jane-suggestion. I think she actually encountered it before she discovered Christie–I pulled it off the Ambleside Year 7 reading list. She loved it (this was a year ago, I think) and urged me to read it. I forgot about it until I saw it on an end table yesterday; Jane had returned for a second (or third?) read.

Penny in VT says:

Ooooo a Double Daring book… I think I know what’s going to be in someone’s Easter basket this year…

Yes, I put books in Easter Baskets. Doesn’t everyone???

Awesome list πŸ™‚

Chrsitie says:

Just this morning I decided to send back (gasp) half my TBR library books. I had thirty (that’s just the fiction, YA and Adult; I didn’t touch the cookbooks, craft books, homeschooling or zen parenting TBRs), and kept just 10. Actually, I am realizing that those were just the second tier TBRs. The first tier are kept somewhere else and I didn’t touch those either. Hmmm. Maybe I didn’t do as well as I thought I did. Doesn’t matter. I am sure the library will be happy to have those 20 books back sooner than later. I won’t just return them, though. They went onto a To Hold list. I didn’t bother to dig up one of the many such lists I already have. It is so much easier to start a new one. In the back of my mind, though, I know I won’t actually need the list, because so many other TBRs will come into the house to fill my shelves again.

Kristine says:

I went to our local library and checked out all the Roger MacBride Rose Years books to read. My husband laughs as I inhale book by book trying to get them all done in 2 weeks. I also have a stack of your books lurking in a pile to be read soon.

Jeanne says:

Inkheart! A good tale on a premise many of us voracious readers have considered but not played out quite as far as Funke does. Not precisely my kind of book, but as a read aloud to 11 yo son, fun! We’ve read the sequel, Inkspell, and await for the third in the trilogy to appear at our rural library….

fiddler says:

Super stack, Melissa. I could see a photo meme emerging out of this practice! “What books are in YOUR stack?”

Penny in VT–I put books in Easter baskets, too. : )

~Christina in MA

Sarah N. says:

What a beautiful stack. I can only imagine how high mine would be if I gathered them from all around the house. And I see several here I’d like to add.

Penny, I can’t imagine an Easter basket without books in it. I actually just placed an order today for some that will fill our baskets.

mamacrow says:

Oooo, read the Daughter of Time first! I read it as a child and was blown away! The Singing Sands is good too, but not a patch on The Daughter of Time…

The Madaline Le Engle one looks good, I’ve read quite a bit of her fictional ones about a group of kids that have fantastical/scifi adventures, but I don’t know ‘The Love Letters’…

Emily says:

Wow, I want the Super Daring book!!! Is it already out?

Heidi @ ggip says:

My pile is also out of control. I have to read the Zookeepers wife for book club this month. I have less than two weeks so I ‘d better start it!

Toni says:

I loved Daughter of Time and so did my friends. One of favorites of last year. I should pull it out and read it again.

Activities Coordinator says:

Butterfly just read the Inkheart books and loved them.

I very much enjoyed The Love Letters.

Carmen says:

My nightstand looks just the same. My son loved the Inkheart series and he keeps telling me that I have to read The City of Ember. No matter what you do, there will always be a bookstack and I can’t imagine it any other way. Thanks for sharing!

Betty and Boo's Mommy says:

Betty and I usually read together in my room for about 20-30 minutes before bed. She’ll read her book, I read mine. This week she added a new game to this ritual: count the number of books on Mommy’s night table.

As of last night, it was 30.

Obviously, I can truly relate. πŸ™‚

Beck says:

SO JEALOUS!
    I have some books coming my way in the indefinite future but right now? I AM OUT. I’m re-reading things I’ve read MANY times before right now. Grim!

radmama says:

Oh so many ideas in one pile!

I’m on quite a L’Engle kick at the moment. Reading the Murry books aloud to the older kidlets, the Austen books to myself and her memoirs when I can. Interesting overlaps between the three.. I have developed both appreciation and critiques.

Helen (Mary Vitamin) says:

Lissa
    I was totally inspired by this post to go to the library and take out a stack of books.

As I leafed through one of the books I borrowed, I realized that I had to recommend it to you:

House Beautiful’s _Decorating with Books_ by Marie Proeller Hueston.
    πŸ™‚

OOOH, Helen! I’ll have to look for that! We really *have* decorated with books. Scott calls our interior decorating style “Early Library.”