Call Me Al

April 5, 2009 @ 6:49 pm | Filed under:

Halfway through lunch, Beanie lets her book fall to the table. She sighs contentedly.

“I LOVE Einstein,” she announces.

She’s reading our small collection of Childhood of Famous Americans biographies, one by one. So far: Amelia Earhart, Sacagawea, Albert Einstein.

“Do you know why I like these books so much, Mommy?” she asks. “Because when I finish one, I feel like I know the person in real life. I feel like Albert Einstein and I are real friends.”

• "Must you be so poetic?" said Sniff.
    “Must you be so poetic?” said Sniff.
    Kidlit4Japan Auction Update
    All Dem Leaves
    Sunday Links
    Great Quote

Comments

Eileen Smithdeal says:

We love these books, too. Even I would prefer to read the CFA series over adult biographies!

tinamama says:

Oh my that sounds so good! I just checked our library’s website and they have a ton of these! Thanks for the heads up about this series! I never heard of them before!! Melissa, you always recommend the best books!! I also need to get YOUR books now from the library too! I keep meaning to do that and I just haven’t remembered at the right time…going to go look them up and order them now! 🙂

We loves those books too. What a sweet thing for her to say though.

Jen Lynch says:

Evie reads “Abigail Adams” and “Helen Keller” over and over and over. Beanie is exactly right.

Terry Doherty says:

I’ll have to find these. We love the Young Patriot series for the same reason … they’re great stories of Americans when they were young. The diversity of the collection (from orators to presidents to singers) is wonderful.

nina says:

I’ve tried to find the books in the original hardcovers. Do you remember them? I read all of them as a child and still fondly remember them. I’ve had a difficult time tracking even one used copy of the series. What a dream it would be to discover a whole box of them at the Goodwill. Stored away by some old school teacher.

I see you have a cute litte button for your past book reviews.