January 2, 2010 @ 10:48 am | Filed under: Books
The trouble with being a contrarian is that the second you make a statement like ‘have realized making TBR lists brings out the contrarian in me & spells doom for books on the list, therefore no more TBR lists shall I make,’ the contrarian rears up and says Who are YOU to tell ME not to make lists??? I’m making a list right this second and you can’t stop me. Hahaha. Bullet point! Bullet point! Bullet point!
Which is another way of saying: I looked at my shelf and realized there were a whole bunch more books I started last year, read and enjoyed several chapters, and set aside temporarily only because there were so many other books clamoring for attention. So here is a list of books I began in 2009 and mean to finish, possibly quite soon, certainly someday.
Edited to add: I’m going to cross off books as I read them. Because the only thing more fun than making lists is crossing off things on lists.
• Great Books by David Denby
• Of a Feather: A Brief History of American Birding by Scott Wiedensaul
• Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
• The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
• Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (goes to top of pile because it’s borrowed) liked it!
• The Body of This by Andrew McNabb
• I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
• Graceling by Kristin Cashore (and sequel)
• Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (and sequel)
• Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
• The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
• Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
• Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow
• Hard Times by Charles Dickens (have been reading this slowly on the iPod, will finish eventually I am sure)
More Victorian Stuff and a Note from Howard Whitehouse!
I know, right?
“Happy Collaboration, Happy Marriage”