Please, No, Anything But That

July 15, 2010 @ 5:53 am | Filed under:

Lest you think my recommendations are always on the mark: the following note from my husband, who stayed up late finishing a book I had thrust upon him, was waiting in my inbox this morning.

I may very well have hated [redacted] worse than I’ve ever hated any work of art in my life.

I’m putting John Mayer videos on unstoppable loops on your computer and the TV.

Oh, he is a diabolical master of revenge. If you never hear from me again, you’ll know why.

Booknotes in early May
    All About Anne (Sorry, Jane)
    day seventeen: tired
    Harry Potter Links
    Library Day

Comments

Anne Marie says:

And the book was?

scott says:

Awful.

Anne Marie says:

I gathered that.

Wendi Gratz says:

Too funny!

Lisa D. says:

Wow. If the book was awful enough to warrant an endless loop of John Mayer videos, I think you have a moral responsibility to the reading public to warn us before we decide to read it, unaware of its potential awfulness.

Besides, I’m trying to guess what book it is, and I really want to know if I’m right.

Well, you’ll note that he called it a “work of art.” I’m reminded of when Debbie Fiderer wrote the editorial blasting Jed Bartlet, but he hired her anyway because the way she referred to him in the letter as “President Bartlet” indicated her respect for the office.

Lisa D. says:

I’m thinking of a book you recently read, but haven’t really discussed, by an author whose books are thought of by many as “works of art.” I haven’t read the book that you recently read, but I have read others by this author and I have found them disturbing and really, well, awful…but in an artistic way.

But, I could be wrong…

Ah, you are thinking of the Byatt, yes? No, it wasn’t that one. He is (correct me if I’m wrong, honey) unlikely to read that one after seeing what a funk it cast me into. I’m glad I read it. I see much to admire in it. The prose is, as always, gorgeous. The bringing-to-life of a fascinatingly complex historical period, stunning. It’s a terribly depressing book. Not just the sordid family secrets, but the grim look at the selfishness of artists.

Katherine says:

If you recommend books and then have reason to suspect maybe the recommendation needs an addendum, isn’t it only just to inform us which book upset your husband so much?

scott says:

The big problem I had with the book in question is a plot twist which works but which is NOT conducive to then getting to sleep, even if it’s late and you’ve got an 18-month-old you just KNOW is going to wake up around 3 AM (as indeed he does).

And being fiercely allergic to spoilers as I am, I am loathe to say more.

Theresa says:

Ah, so it’s a graphic novel?

mamacrow says:

mmm, it’s a graphic novel with a good plot twist that is chilling….

*thinks hard*

so what does the winner get? A good long nibble at the little side of beef?! 😀

Hee! Well, as long as we’re making a guessing game out of it…

—NOT a graphic novel

—not a plot twist, but a character’s choice, that’s the thing that upset Scott so

—and I didn’t exactly *recommend* it here so much as mention that I was reading it, had read it, had shared it.

Theresa says:

Ok, well I’m going to guess it’s Feed, because that one just sounds disturbing to me overall.

Ellisa says:

I am half-way through Feed. I’ve been like, really turned off by the language, yanno? It’s all da-da-da f-word, da-da-da more f-word. But the story is brag and the characters are so messed up I actually like them.

My favorite part so far was when they were at “the farm” and Titus wanted another donut but couldn’t because… prong.

I’m listening to it as an audiobook. The ads sound like full-production pieces, which has been fun.

It’s definitely interesting, though I don’t know if I can say I’d recommend it. I’ll keep an eye out for a horrible twist!