Raindrops Are Fallin’ on My Head

October 20, 2010 @ 8:07 pm | Filed under:

Yesterday I blew my hair dry for the first time in, I dunno, twenty years, in an attempt to replicate the salontastic look my beloved stylist gave me after my haircut last week. My own attempt was semi-successful, not as fabulous as Stephanie’s handiwork, but not bad. This was a dry run for KidlitCon on Saturday. Next week I’ll be right back to my regular lazy air-dry.

Later in the day I had to make a Target run, and when I came out it was pouring. San Diego saves all its rain for one afternoon a year, I think. This was that afternoon. As I dashed to the car, I could practically feel the frizz reasserting itself strand by strand. Sproing!

Our neighborhood isn’t build for torrential rain. The gutters were miniature rivers. I braced as I forded a temporary creek on my own street, feeling like Pa Ingalls guiding the horses across.  As I turned into our driveway, I saw a baseball go sweeping past in the current. Our baseball? I didn’t think so, but it looked like a perfectly good one and seemed a shame to let it wind up in the storm drain. I pulled into the driveway, threw the car into park and jumped out into the rain. The ball was already floating past my neighbor’s house by the time I caught up with it. I leaped over the raging river of the gutter—and splashed down in the street in water an inch past the hem of my jeans. Shoes, soaked. Socks, sodden. Sleek salon hair? Utterly demolished, replaced by a dripping tangle.

That’ll learn me!

Still Giggling, I Must Share
    Resolution
    Party of Five
  • Rose's First Holy Communion
    Rose’s First Holy Communion
    Our Big Cross-Country Trip, Scrapbooked

Comments

feebeeglee says:

Yes, yes, that’s all well and good – but did you get the ball?

Erin says:

What I love is the way the rain makes the news here. Top headline—it rained all afternoon!—In other news….

Only, only in San Diego.

I empathise! But I also am glad to see you have your priorities in good order.

Now THAT paints a picture.

Penny in VT says:

Rain schmain. You did a good thing to save the life of a baseball.

Besides, you look great with your natural hairstyle – maybe it was the Universe’s way of saying “you’re beautiful just the way you are!”

Christine M says:

But you saved the baseball, right? So all in all it was a win.

Karen Edmisten says:

Leave that beautiful hair alone! 🙂

I did indeed save the baseball. If not my shoes!

tanita says:

I was just thinking the other day when looking at your Before/After picture of the wee one how fabulous your sproingy curls are – and how fun it is that your kids inherited them.

And now I shall think of you as a Sproingy-Haired Saver of Baseballs, which only raises you in my estimation.

Jenny, Home is Where says:

I’m in Orange County, and when it does finally rain, I usually can’t find my umbrella, because I use it maybe once a year..this summer I went to Canada with a friend, my very first time there- and it rained almost the whole time we were there, so I had to buy a raincoat. I was very excited this week to be able to wear my authentic Canadian raincoat during big rain here, I really didn’t think I’d ever use it. I was a little giddy over it 🙂