Synchronicity: 1. the quality or fact of being synchronous; 2. the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality
This list of similarities and coincidences among the 2010 Cybils YA Fiction nominees is humbly submitted to you by the seven members of the 2010 Cybils YA Fiction first-round panel. It is no way to be considered completely exhaustive, as we are certain some nominated books and coincidences will have been missed. This list developed as the seven of us read our way through the 182 titles. If you know of a nominated title that should be included in one of the synchronicities below, please feel free to submit it in the comments! To get the entire list, you’ll have to visit all seven blogs:
• Amanda Snow, A Patchwork of Books [TW] 1-10
• Ami Jones, Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian [TW] 11-21
• Cherylynne W. Bago, View from Above and Beyond [TW] 22-32
• Jackie Parker, Interactive Reader [TW] 33-42
• Justina Ireland, The YA 5 [TW] 43-52
• Kelly Jensen, Stacked [TW] 53-63
…and I’m bringing up the rear with SYNCHRONICITIES #64-72.
64. Swim Lessons: The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin; When I Was Joe
65. Swingsets: Hold Still; Love Drugged; Will Grayson, Will Grayson
66. Taylor Swift: Friend is Not a Verb; Perfect Shot
67. Texting/IM Conversations: The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin; The Secret to Lying; Will Grayson, Will Grayson
68. Thieving Fathers: Compromised; The Daughters; Heist Society
69. Titles with a Little “Little” in Them: A Little Wanting Song; Dirty Little Secrets; Every Little Thing in the World; Little Blog on the Prairie
70. Verse Novels: After the Kiss; The Firefly Letters; Glimpse; Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs; Three Rivers Rising; Wicked Girls
71. War: Abe in Arms; Bamboo People; Revolution; Sweet, Hereafter; The Things a Brother Knows; Thunder Over Kandahar; Woods Runner
72. Non-book-Related: Kelly and Jackie came to the realization they are naming their first born daughters the same thing… And no, they aren’t telling you what that is. (Wilma Grayson?) (Kelly says it’s Xander!)
Kids in Need, Books in Deed
Happy Birthday, Bill!
How Do the Seasons Affect Your Reading Habits?