Miss Rumphius Was Here

March 24, 2009 @ 6:49 am | Filed under: ,

lupine

Grape soda lupines (lupinus excubitus). These grow wild on the roadsides here, intermingled with the wild mustard (Father Serra was also here). Just gorgeous. They’re supposed to smell like their name, but we couldn’t catch the faintest whiff of grape.

Blood and Guts in the Bonny Glen
    All Dem Leaves
    Strawberries
    I Hate to Have to Tell You This
    Gardening Tip for the Lazy—I Mean Busy—Mother

Comments

They look so much like bluebonnets, also a lupine. How lovely!

ChristineMM says:

Lupines are my favorite flower. I understand they were imported from Europe. In Maine where my relatives live they have naturalized in fields and along roadsides. They aren’t growing wild like that in Connecticut though, just in my cultivated garden when I’ve grown them in the past.

Love, love, love them.

Love the story Miss Rumphius too. 🙂

Beth says:

Oh lovely! We love Miss Rumphius (we even listened to it in Spanish once, just for the beauty of the story, even though no on in our family really understands Spanish). What a gorgeous photograph. No lupines growing in my urban almost-Pittsburgh neighborhood, so I will take a deep vicarious breath and feast my eyes on pictures like this. Thank you for posting!

regan says:

thanks so much for this info. we have some of these growing in our yard and across the street and had not been able to find out what they were called.
    and i did see some-mixed with mustard and poppies growing off the 15 fwy by corona the other day, which in the just-before-evening-hours looked positively gorgeous!

fiddler says:

Ooh, a call to arms to get busy with the 100 Species Challenge. I love it, and the photo, Melissa!

Kristen says:

Lovely! We love the lupine lady too. I almost got into a car accident on the 5 this morning as I was gazing at the mustard flower on the hillside. It’s not the first time, either. 🙂 I looked at other drivers (who weren’t gazing) and wondered how they could possibly stay in their lanes when driving by those gorgeous fields!

Penny in VT says:

Ah, so sweet… I hope your day is a lovely as these lupines…

Karen Edmisten says:

Lovely!

And it’s time to read Miss Rumphius again ….

Angela says:

I love lupines – they grow all along the beach here. i know they’re a nuisance to our friends who are sheep ranchers, because they’re poisonous to the sheep, but they sure are lovely.

Heather says:

Oh, I adored the Mrs Rumphius book. Read it to all my kids – and then they’d read it to themselves. 🙂 I may go drag it out ofthe bookshelf and make them all listen to it again tonight. LOL! I’m sure as teenagers they’d love to. . . 😉