There are no words to describe…

September 9, 2013 @ 9:09 am | Filed under: , ,

…just how much this kid loves Paddle-to-the-Sea.

Paddle-to-the-Sea

“A bumpy line of buildings stretched like castles along the horizon. They were grain elevators at Port Arthur and Fort William filled with mountains of grain which trains had brought from the plains of western Canada. The ships now passing Paddle would carry the grain to other lake ports and other lands…”

(She decided to draw stalks of wheat to represent the grain. She’s charting Paddle’s journey through the Great Lakes in blue.)

Eight Beloved Books
    Immediately, Immediately, Immediate-ly
    Mid-April Reading Notes: Tey and Collins
    Book Notes: August
    Newbery Yippee

Comments

Pentimento says:

That book is a favorite of my (non-homeschooled) second-grader, too. He took to drawing extraordinarily accurate maps of the Great Lakes from memory after reading it. He is on the autism spectrum, which may or may not account for his extraordinary accuracy etc. But anyway, he loves that book.

Mary Hennessey says:

We are just starting our study. Where did you get the large map?

We always love that one at our house, too. We just started Minn of the Mississippi last week. We usually print out a little picture of the object we’re following and pin it to our large wall map, but I’m also intrigued by your map.

Mary, the map is this one from Sonlight: http://www.sonlight.com/MAP.html
    Has seen a lot of use around here these past ten years or so.

Jenn, I love your moving-object-on-the-map idea. Reminds me of our old Mr. Putty! (I keep meaning to make a new one for my younger batch of kids. Except we broke our globe off the stand, which would make for a rather precarious existence for poor Mr. Putty.

Pentimento, that’s very cool about your son’s ability with maps. I wish I had those kind of spatial/rendering skills myself.

dstb says:

We also love Paddle-to-the-Sea. Have you ever seen the movie? Very sweet.

Sarah

Sue K says:

Years ago when I was reading that book with a couple of my kids, my dad made a hand carved copy for them. What a treasure!

Alice Gunther says: