I was excited about this book long before I knew one of my own novels had been included in its pages. It combines two of my most favorite things (not just my favorite things, my most favorite things!): books and yarn.
Great Yarns for the Close-Knit Family by Mary Gildersleeve is about to hit the shelves, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. What a gem of an idea: Mary has taken twelve children’s novels, read-alouds her family loved, and created knitting projects to go with each one.
Imagine how tickled I was when I saw my own name on that booklist!
Here’s a peek at the books and their projects, courtesy of the author’s website:
1. Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
a. Pinocchio Doll and Clothes
2. Canadian Summer by Hilda vanStockum
a. Mr. Magic’s Gnome Hat
b. Arthur Purcell’s “Gay” Sweater
3. The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkein
a. Bilbo’s Backpack
b. Bilbo’s Traveling Jacket
4. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
a. Ma’s Boot Socks
b. Pa’s Red-White Checked Mittens
5. Little House in the Highlands by Melissa Wiley
a. Mittens for Laird Alroch & Auld Mary
b. Tullie Greyshanks Doll and Clothes
6. The Lost Island by Eilis Dillon
a. Fisherman’s Jersey
b. Wool Socks for the Journey
7. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
a. Mary Poppins’ Carpetbag
b. Mary Poppins’ Fur-trimmed Gloves
8. Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater
a. Captain Cook (penguin doll)
b. Mr. Popper’s Cozy Scarf
9. Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle
a. Otto’s Chain Mail
b. Otto’s Scabbard and Belt
10. Redwall by Brian Jacques
a. Matthias’ Over-sized Habit
b. Asmodeus the Snake
11. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
a. Colin’s Rug and Cushion
b. Mrs. Sowerby’s Cloak
12. The Wheel on the School by Meindert deJong
a. Lina’s Stocking Cap
b. Thick Wools Socks for Linda & Jan
I can’t wait to see that Tullie Greyshanks doll, but I think I’m most excited of all about Bilbo’s Traveling Jacket. I want a Bilbo’s traveling jacket!
I can also say for a certainty that Asmodeus the Snake will be crossing my path in days to come. I’m betting that’s Jane’s first project out of the book.
If you pre-order a copy from its publisher, Hillside Education, you’ll receive a free set of wooden knitting needles. Pre-orders are available through March 8th. I think the book will hit the shelves in mid-March!
Seven Belly Laughs
The Home Epic
Home Again and New Books
Quick Heads Up: Genesis
Books Read in February