Speaking of the Funny

November 26, 2007 @ 11:22 pm | Filed under:

Beanie said to me tonight, "Did you know I saw a moose at the park today?"

Me: "A moose? Really."

Bean: "I think so. It was big like a moose, and it had a moose’s tail."

(Because, you know, a moose’s tail is its distinguishing characteristic.)

Bean, continuing: "But it was a long way away."

Me: "Like, say, in Maine?"

Beanie (laughs): "No, Mommy, at the park. Here."

Me: "Ah, yes. You said that. Here. In San Diego. A moose. How did I miss it?"

Bean: "You were at the swings. I saw it from the climby thing. It might have been a dog. But I’m pretty sure it was a moose."

Me: "Well."

Bean: "Or…it could have been a person."

Hmm. Could it be that we are not quite the astute observers of nature I had supposed we were? I mean, there I was all proud of myself for identifying a viceroy butterfly on a eucalyptus tree, and I completely missed seeing the large dog-man with the tail of a moose.

848160_resting_moose

A tiger? In Africa?

BE VAR VAR QIYT
    Popped up on my FB memory feed today
    Methinks You Just Did
    No, Dear, That Would be the Cucumber Sandwiches
  • Huck at 5
    Huckisms to Remember

Comments

Elizabeth says:

I completely sympathize with Beanie. I was once convinced that I saw an ostrich. In a wildlife preserve. On the Outer Banks. In North Carolina.

Everyone else thought it was just a man on a bicycle, but I ask you, what would a man on a bicycle be doing in NORTH CAROLINA??

Activities Coordinator says:

Sasquatch. Definitely Sasquatch.

Brandi says:

My mom once tried to tell us that she saw an alligator out in the ocean waves in Virginia Beach, Virginia. She was quite serious at the time. We called her on it and then she claimed that she was only joking. Hmm…it wasn’t her joking voice.

sarah in va says:

Still laughing!

Becky says:

It couldn’t be a zoo escapee, could it?

Tail business aside, you have a very prescient daughter.

That’s today’s dateline, by the way :). Now she just has to learn to say, “I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried”, with an earnest expression, of course.

Marie says:

Adorable! We moved back to my home state here in New England and my husband, after 4 years here, still has not seen a moose. Maybe he should visit a park in San Diego. (=

Nicole in MN says:

Maybe it is the start of some new CA trend for people to wear a tail and antlers? I’ve heard strange things about CA…

Mary Beth P says:

Well, you guys will just HAVE to come up to Maine, to see a real moose!

Steve the LLama says:

Hey, you see antlers, hooves, and pizza crusts, and you’re not thinking aardvarks now, are you?