Whatcha Reading?

September 15, 2012 @ 11:32 am | Filed under:

I missed doing my August recap, probably because it would have been embarrassing (consisting largely of Kindle samples of memoirs by female escapees from polygamist sects). Have, as usual, too many books going at once and dozens more piled beside my bed. And queued on the Kindle. But, you know, in for a penny, in for a pound. What’s on your nightstand?

Our Week in Books: Wednesday
  • Another Announcement: Carnival of Children's Literature
    Another Announcement: Carnival of Children’s Literature
    Jog My Memory?
    Recently Recommended
    Delicious, Found

Comments

mamacrow says:

The Womanly Art of Breast Feeding, 5000 mile garden (again), Jane’s Country Year (again), some Gerald Durrell and Lori Pickert’s Project-Based Homeschooling (can’t recommend this last highly enough). Oh, and Desmond Morris’s The Naked Woman

Ellie says:

(seriously, you should share some of those titles!) here’s my August booklog.

now I’m reading an odd assortment of books — far too many to list here! — including Augustine of Hippo, by Peter Brown; Last Acts: Discovering Possibility and Opportunity at the End of Life, by David Casarett; a graphic novel adaptation of the 9/11 Commission Report by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón; Drift, by Rachel Maddow … Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll finish any of these books, we’ll see. There are about twenty on the tbr shelf.

I love what-are-you-reading posts. I don’t have many books going at the moment because I *ought* to be working. I’ve just finished The Night Circus, am halfway through Clockwork Prince, and about to embark upon A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer.

Haley says:

Middlemarch, Nurture Shock, The Write Start, The Gospel of the Kingdom, Child of Mine… and The Prairie Thief. 🙂

Veronica Mitchell says:

I just finished Redemption in Indigo and LOVED it. I’m in the middle of Raymond Nogar’s Lord of the Absurd, which is well-written but dated. Also reading View with a Grain of Sand by Wisława Szymborska and enjoying it very much.

Emily says:

Re-Reading The Red Tent; finished a book on early Dominicans today. Also reading: Utopia, Life of Christ (Fulton Sheen), the new American Girl books (Caroline…yes, I love me kid-lit!), and The Interior Castle.

Caryl says:

Reading and loving Beverly Cleary’s memoir, A Girl from Yamhill; just re-read Ellen Tebbits and reading Henry Huggins aloud to my kids. Also savoring More Baths Less Talking, Nick Hornby’s essays for the Believer about books & what he’s reading. Also enjoyed re-reading Lois Lowry’s The Giver alongside my daughter (who thought it was fantastic); we plan to read Gathering Blue, Messenger, and then Son, the final book in the quartet, when it comes out Oct. 2. We get to see Lois Lowry here soon, too!

Pippi says:

Something Fierce by Carmen Aguirre. A fabulous memoir of a girl growing up in revolutionary South America in the 70s/80s. I keep looking forward to nursing sessions with my newborn because it means I can read without too much guilt (look! I have to sit down! I can’t do dishes! I might as well read!). My neighbour edited it and did a fabulous job (along with the author, of course). I highly recommend it.

Ellie says:

Well, the other thing I just read was the article you linked to, over there in your “Caught My Eye” widget: “Child Labor and the Social Construct of Childhood.” I really appreciated being able to see the photos.

Fascinating, thank you so much for linking to it. Calli and I read it together just now … I’m reading (forgot to mention in my precious comment) Bread and Roses, Too, by Katherine Paterson, a novel about the children affected by and involved in the Massachusettes textile mill strikes in 1912.

mamacrow says:

argh! the 3000 Mile Garden, not 5000 miles! Read it dozens of times, make that mistake EVERY time *sigh*

Jen Clowdus says:

Pride and Prejudice

Emily T says:

I’ve been completely enraptured by the cinematic trailers of the upcoming release of “Anna Karenina” and since I’ve always wanted a good excuse to get lost in this epic novel that will surely steal my will to sleep I have begun to finally read Tolstoy’s classic on my Kindle Fire.

Fanny Harville says:

Just finished Swamplandia! by Karen Russell…

mamacrow says:

after detailing my stack, what did I pick up and get lost in last night? Opening Night by Ngaio Marsh *sigh*

Lisa says:

I’ve read tons of escaping the Warren Jeff’s group! No embarrassment needed!! On my nightstand? All on kindle–Book Theif, the Invisible Bridge, Maine by CJ Sullivan and Stephanie Plum #17. In print books just Abraham Lincoln and the Soldiers Home. On audio in the car Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Matyr, Prophet, Spy……

Cathy says:

I am reading the fourth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, A Feast for Crows. I am really enjoying this series; the stories are long and captivating. Like Tolkein, it’s hard for me to comprehend that he made up this whole, involved fantasy world!
    And I can’t wait for my next trip to the bookstore to buy The Prairie Thief, it looks super.

Lindsay says:

My son and husband went on a Larry Niven binge, which they absolutely loved, so I’m trying to get interested in “Crashlander” so I can understand their conversations. However, it isn’t yet my thing. Since starting it I’ve read “Sandition” by Jane Austen “and another lady,” “The Watsons” by Jane Austen and John Coates, and “Sense and Sensibility” by the lady herself. And in spurts I’m reading “A Natural History of Selborne” by Gilbert White — my copy is with illustrations and published by the Gilbert White Museum, so it is too big and too pretty to get dragged around to be read in line at the supermarket. What a find on the used book shelf at the Audubon center! Having O.D.ed on Jane Austen, I guess it’s time to get back to “Crashlander,” which is getting a little more interesting — Still can’t compare to Miss Austen!

Ohhh, a lot of tempting stuff here. @Lisa, which of the Warren Jeff escapee memoirs did you like best? I think the Carolyn Jessop one was the one that grabbed me the most, but I read so many Kindle-samples they began to blur together.

@Caryl, I DID NOT KNOW (shouting!) there was a new Nick Hornby collection!!! I am a huuuuge fan of his What I’m Reading essays. Blogged about them excessively a few years back. This is excellent news.

Elizabeth H. says:

I’m finishing ‘The Summer Book’ by Tove Jansson (yes, Moomins!). It’s quirky and touching and has a terrific sense of place. Highly recommended.