Gusty Winds May Exist

October 16, 2006 @ 6:17 am | Filed under:

I love the road signs in New Mexico. Polite, noncommittal, vaguely existential.

Gusty winds did in fact exist when we crossed Raton Pass from Colorado into New Mexico. Also gorgeous views. This is one spectacularly beautiful countrýwe live in.

Yesterday’s travel highlights: a golden eagle swooping over the road, a herd of bison (not wild), lots of mule deer, prairie dogs, and–hey, Steve!–llamas. Also Pike’s Peak, the Greenhorn Mountains, the Sangre de Christos, and the Spanish Peaks. Googleworthy landmarks: site of the Ludlow Massacre and Wagon Mound, NM. This morning we will explore Santa Fe, especially the church with the miraculous staircase. I have a great respect for the Sisters of Loretto, who built the church–but not the stair. (Something else for you to Google.)

And more hotel infamy! Last night we managed to lock our bathroom door from the inside when no one was in it. Brilliant!

Oh Wow Is Right
    Home Sweet Home
    WikiMapia, or Yet Another Way to Spend Half Your Morning on the Computer
    Look, No Exclamation Points
  • Month of Motivation: I'm Stuffed
    Month of Motivation: I’m Stuffed

Comments

My parents took us to that church when we were children. My husband and I decided to get married while on a family vacation in the Sangre de Christo Mountains. So many lovely things to see in NM. Enjoy!

Theresa says:

Oooh! My ds will be so jealous to hear you are visiting Loretto Chapel! He has wanted to visit and see that miraculous stair ever since we read about it last year. Be sure to take pictures and post them when you can!

Karen E. says:

I’m jealous, too! We read about the staircase a few years ago when my sister sent a postcard from there. Happy visiting!

Gotta love those existential road signs, too. 🙂

I’m another jealous one! Loretto Chapel was on the plan books for a summer road trip when I was a kid, we headed for Chicago, Canada and Niagra Falls instead.

Melissa says:

You may also find Chimayo, which is located northeast of Santa Fe, worth visiting, if you’re not too pressed for time:

Beth says:

LOL Ah yes, rather like “caution: rocks may fall.”

Cay G. says:

The miraculous staircase?!
    Oh, I’m the triple jealous one.
    Please share pictures!!! Please.

The LLama Butchers says:

An auspicious sign of destiny

Lissa and the brood, 3/4 of the way across America in their cross-country sojourn to the new rancho, encounter a herd of friendly LLamas….

Alice Gunther says:

“Gusty winds may exist” has me cracking up! Hilarious!