Here’s Wooking at You, Kid

February 12, 2008 @ 6:11 pm | Filed under:

"Watch me, Mom," says my son, a hundred times a day or more. This isn’t the typical four-year-old’s "Look what I can do!"—what he means is Look at me because I want to tell you something. He doesn’t grasp that I am not hard of hearing; I don’t need to watch his lips move to be sure of what he is saying. He needs to see my face to "hear" me best, and naturally he assumes the reciprocal is true.

If I don’t turn quickly enough, he takes hold of my chin with one firm little hand, turning my face toward his. Yanking it, sometimes. Wookit me, Mom.

He is cuter than ever to wookit these days, thanks to the spiffy new glasses he is sporting.

Dontthrow

Sometimes I spike up his hair so he looks like the kid from Jerry Maguire. This makes me laugh. I glance at him in my rear-view mirror and expect him to ask me if I know the human head weighs eight pounds.

When I went to put the glasses on him the first morning, he wasn’t at all sure he was on board with this plan. Then Scott put on his glasses—I wear contacts, so Scott is the only bespectacled member of the household—and the boy was all of a sudden thrilled to don his own specs. You didn’t tell me it was a MAN thing, Mom! Bring ’em on!

From that moment on it has been smooth sailing, though there are certain logistics he has yet to figure out, such as what to do with one’s man-glasses while one is observing the time-honored man custom of sacking out on the couch on a Sunday afternoon.

Nap

Why This Blog Has Been a Trifle Slow of Late
    Perspective
    The IEP Meeting
    If Time Is Money, My Exchange Rate is Too Low
    Kids Will Be Kids

Comments

Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants says:

Aw, Wonder Boy looks adorable!

Man-glasses issues while napping on the couch is a life long hassle.

I sneak up to Hubs and gently remove his before he crushes them! 😉

“Wookit me, Mom” -precious!

Sheila says:

That was the dearest entry about the dearest boy!

coffeemamma says:

So cute! Our youngest (now 7yo) has been wearing glasses since she was about 18mos. Cracked me up every time she would fall asleep with them on, twisting them all “wonky” on her face- hee!

JoVE says:

What? only on Sunday afternoon? the men in my family sack out on the couch after lunch EVERY DAY. When no couch is available (like at work), even just putting his head on the desk. But a nap every day was something I thought all men did.

The glasses are great. And he does look a lot like the kid in Jerry Maguire.

Meredith says:

He is just precious!! I love the sleeping pics, they’re always so sweet!!! Like father, like son 🙂

Amy says:

He’s so beautiful, Lissa!

He is so darn cute!

Becky says:

WB is adorable. Will he be my Valentine?!

When he figures out that glasses thing, let me know. I have that problem on Saturday evenings, lying in bed reading and watching the late show and getting very, very sleepy.

When my boys (now 7 and 8.5) were younger, they realized that Daddy wore boxers, not briefs, and to this day they wouldn’t think of wearing briefs. Because, you know, it’s a guy thing 🙂

Mary Beth P says:

So cute! Michael wears glasses,too (he’s almost 6 and has had him since he was 4). I can tell you this- they WILL be replaced frequently, at least 4 times per year!

KC says:

He’s so cute and that last picture is so precious!

Joan Peterson says:

What a Great Step. Hope he likes his pictures. We do. MOM & DAD P

mamacrow says:

aw, him asleep on the couch – too cute!

He only need to really worry if he marries a girl who wears glasses. Then he’ll find (as we did) there are all sorts of other interesting things to figure out!

Mary says:

Awww…he’s adorable.

Nicole in MN says:

What a precious cutie!
    We have a 3yo boy who has worn glasses since infancy and he has the same problem during the impromptu naps. I’m sure you will get to know the eye glass technician very well!!