Now Comes the Fun Part

February 20, 2012 @ 4:03 pm | Filed under: , , , ,

As I’ve mentioned, I have three new books coming out this August. Whee!

Middle-grade novel. Margaret K. McElderry Books. Art by Erwin Madrid. He has posted the full wraparound cover on his blog. Gorgeous, isn’t it? What he does with light just blows me away.

A Step into Reading Level 3. Random House. Illustrations by Sebastien Braun. I am crazy about his depiction of my characters—so much humor and personality in their expressions and body language.

A Simon Spotlight Ready-to-Read Level 1. Simon & Schuster. Illustrations by Ag Jatkowska. When Rilla, who had been hearing my Inch and Roly stories for months, saw Ag’s cover sketch she squealed. “Mommy! They’re DORABLE.” πŸ™‚

Yes, we are a little bit excited. πŸ™‚

Exploring Boston with Charlotte Tucker
    Best Summer Reading
  • "...they put their fingerprint on your imagination, in your heart."
    “…they put their fingerprint on your imagination, in your heart.”
    Midweek reading notes
    Because the Only Thing Better than a Big Stack of Books is a List of Them

Comments

Mary G. says:

I’m so proud of you … congrats! I’ve pre-ordered The Prairie Thief and I’m thinking I’ll need to get the other two for my great-niece (yes, I am THAT old) and my godson!

Leslie in VA says:

Yippeeee!!! So very exciting! Congratulations on your new “babies”! We cannot wait to add them to our Wiley collection! Compliments on the art work as well!

Teri says:

Oooh! Gorgeous cover art on all three, but I especially love the cover on The Prairie Thief (which I am also pre-ordering – yippee!).

Ellie says:

Ooo! **bounce bounce** How exciting! Really lovely artwork, how nerve-wracking and exciting all at once to have your words brought to life in art created by another (please ignore my sentence structure egads).

Really looking forward to these πŸ™‚

Penny says:

Wheeeeeee!

So exciting! All of the covers are stunning!

They all look so wonderful! I especially like fox and crow – I can see a whole story just in their expressions. Congratulations on such a bumper crop of books!!

Sara says:

I’m so excited for you, and excited to read them, too! They all look ‘dorable’!

monica says:

Yipeee!! I have been scouting out some of those level one step into reading books for my emergent reader. He loves being able to read a whole book. I am so proud of you!

Selena says:

Oh so exciting!!!!!

Christie says:

3 cheers. How wonderful all the art is excellent. What an amazing August you’ll have. I can’t wait to read them.

MelanieB says:

Oh all very dorable. And they are coming out at the best time– happy birthday to me! I’ve pre-ordered all three. Though of course it will be Bella who will get the most enjoyment out of them.

yvonne says:

Hooray, YOU!!!! The covers are magical!!! Is that a penny? And what is Miss Blondie holding in the first picture–it looks alive! Are Fox and Crow boys, girls, or one of each. Oh August, come quick… πŸ™‚

tanita says:

Squeeeeeeeeeee!
    Oh, all of the covers are so, so cute!! I love the gnome in The Prairie Thief. Adorable.

Anne Marie says:

Sooooooo awesome!!!

Lori B says:

Congratulations! The Prairie Thief just went on my 11yo’s wishlist!

Carol says:

Oh – I can’t wait to get my hands on these! They look like stories my little ones will love to hear over and over – AND my emergent readers will love to read on their own.
    Love your stuff! Love your blog!

Joan Peterson says:

Great Titles –Beautiful Covers. Congratulations. Good Work. M&D P

Lesley Austin says:

Oh my…terribly exciting! I can’t help but think of all the books and movies with the scenes where the published book is received in the post and unwrapped to reveal the long-awaited creation.

Sarah N. says:

Congratulations! These all look so good. My 4yo is just moving into the simplest easy readers and I will love sharing yours with her. I also know my 8yo will be excited about The Prairie Thief.

Amanda says:

Can’t wait to sell the heck out of these at the store πŸ™‚

mamacrow says:

oooo, how exciting! and very well done, lots of hard work come to fruition x

Hannah @ Lovely Woods says:

LISSA!!!!!!!!!!!! They’re super duper adorable. I am totally with Rilla on this one. And what a month August will be in the {Wiley} household! πŸ˜‰

Mary Beth Patnaude says:

Congrats, Lissa!Since I have a child at each reading level, I think I will order all 3! Is “The Prairie Thief” more geared towards girls?

Thanks, everyone! πŸ™‚

@Mary Beth, no, I hope boys will enjoy it too. The main character is a girl, but it’s a pretty mixed cast. πŸ™‚ Not all of them human.

Karen Edmisten says:

Love, love, love! “Dorable!

emily says:

Wow! No wonder you’re excited. I can’t wait until August!

Marcia says:

Yeah. That’s so exciting. Looking forward to reading them for myself. (and my kids!)

JoAnne says:

I am looking forward to Fox and Crow, my son will love it! Can you tell me, do the publishers have guidelines for what constitutes a Level 2/Level 3/Level 4 book?

I have a very early reader (recently turned 4, reading at a mid 2nd grade level) and I find that there isn’t much past this stage, before “real” chapter books – particularly not something geared towards his age. I wanted to try my hand at writing a few, but I’m not really sure where to begin. Do they give you real guidelines, or do you simply submit a text and then have them categorize/edit it?