Class of 1986, This One’s for You

May 1, 2010 @ 8:15 am | Filed under:

At Barbara’s request, here’s the playlist that kept me moving during yesterday’s housecleaning:

“A Little Respect,” Erasure

“Come on Eileen,” Dexy’s Midnight Runners

“Sister Christian,” Night Ranger

“Modern Love,” David Bowie

“Solsbury Hill,” Peter Gabriel

“She Blinded Me with Science,” Thomas Dolby

“Given to Fly,” Pearl Jam

“Mmmbop,” Hanson (What? I said I needed to keep moving.)

“Always Something There to Remind Me,” Naked Eyes

“Tenderness,” General Public

“Walking on Sunshine,” Katrina and the Waves

“Young Americans,” David Bowie

“Something to Talk About,” Badly Drawn Boy

“Something So Strong,” Crowded House

“Life in a Northern Town,” Dream Academy

My house is very sparkly today. πŸ™‚

Note-Reading and Ear-Training Games Online
    Duke Ellington Meets Tchaikovsky
    Current Housecleaning Playlist
  • I'm Singing the Praises...
    I’m Singing the Praises…
  • Because You're You
    Because You’re You

Comments

Charlotte (Matilda) says:

What… no 10,000 Maniacs?

Margaret in Minnesota says:

How about the class of ’84? Can we still give a listen?

I have a very silly question for you b/c my husband’s not here to bother with it. How do you go about making a playlist? Do you choose music that you already own or do you find it online and purchase it?

Told you. Very silly, very out-of-the-playlist-loop.

Margaret in Minnesota says:

PS. I used to sing “99 Luftballoons” in a band in the 1980’s.

Me & my big hair.

Angel says:

Wow. I thought I was the only person who would put “Walking on Sunshine”, “Rain King”, “Solsbury Hill”, and “In a Big Country” on the same playlist. πŸ˜‰ Maybe I can convince my family that my house would be cleaner if I only got an Itouch for Mother’s Day…

Oh gosh, what a nostalgia blast! I remember all these songs … and look, an NZ band in there too! Cool.

Leslie says:

Love it! Thank you for the memories. Watch the Wedding Singer (sans children) for a visual blast from the past. Doesn’t ’86 seem like yesterday!

Pam says:

A most excellent list indeed.

Michele Q. says:

WOW major trip down memory lane! I’m class of ’85 –our 25 year reunion is this summer.

I know the German version of 99 Luftballons better than the English one because we were in Germany when it was popular.

Margaret, I can totally see you with big hair. πŸ˜‰

KC says:

That’s an awesome playlist! I love 80s music (well, I did spend my teen years in the 80s). πŸ™‚

I wonder if my house will get cleaner with this playlist.

MARGARET. We require video of that.

Michele: Hast du etwas zeit fur mich, dann singe ich ein Lied fur dich…

(Which is to say: Me too! In Germany when it was popular! Goosebumps.)

Margaret again: Here’s the deal on my playlists. Scott loads our CDs onto my laptop’s iTunes. He picks things he knows I like. In fact, he made me a whole big playlist called “Songs Lissa likes.”

For my housecleaning playlist, I went through THAT big playlist and made a smaller one of the most energizing stuff.

Every weekday morning, Scott opens the big Songs Lissa Likes playlist and does a search on a word or some combo of letters, to narrow the selections down to just a few: a temporary mini-playlist just for that morning. It’s one of my favorite parts of the day, seeing what random bunch of songs will pop up. Like one day he did “rain,” and another he did “monday.”

This is all on the computer, not the iPod.

That is our unscientific approach to playlist-creation. πŸ™‚

P.S. Y’all, the house did not stay clean.

Margaret in Minnesota says:

Okay, do I dare ask one last question?

Just HOW many CDs do you & Scott own between you? I’m thinking that, like books, they are more or less part of the decor… πŸ˜‰

Diane says:

I graduated in 1985, those tunes bring back so many memories. Love to listen to the oldies station, which now includes alot of 80s and 90s music. We are that old. lol.
    Blessings
    Diane

Silvia says:

That is so sweet of Scott! I really don’t like messing with my iPod, so I never change the music. Hmmmm. Maybe I can challenge Eddie to come up with something for me. πŸ™‚

Oh gracious, how many CDs? I have no idea. Scott’s first job in high school was at a record store—right when CDs first came out. I don’t believe he brought home a penny of his paychecks. Signed it right back over to the store and bought music at the employee discount.

(Which is pretty much the same thing I did when I worked at a children’s bookstore during grad school.)

Music is Scott’s thing, his great passion, so yeah, he has a lot of CDs. A couple of bookcases full, I guess. And then there are the books. Ridiculous quantities of books. My clothes are smushed into a plastic Office Max file-storage drawer unit in my closet, because I need all the bedroom wall space I can get for bookcases.

Wendy in VA says:

Hey, who gave you my playlist!? :o)