My desk

May 1, 2011 @ 7:00 am | Filed under:

The Writing Process Blog Tour
    Trip tidbits

Comments

Annette W says:

I want to take a peek at all your notecards!

Penny says:

I want to know what the big book you are taking notes from is!

Really, we homeschool Moms are incorrigible…

yvonne says:

Oh my those index cards are too intriguing. Are you taking notes? Or plotting a novel? Hmmm.

Ditto to both!

MelanieB says:

Oh good. I thought I was the only one trying to enlarge the picture to figure out what the cards say. Insatiable curiosity….

The big book is a geneology tome compiled by my wonderful Great-Aunt Bettye, who was the Keeper of Lore for my father’s side of the family. Way back in 1992, I talked to her about a story I wanted to write, based on a certain chapter of our family history. She was amazing…sent me masses of files and printouts of family tree info she had worked out over the years. Other obligations kept me from tackling that novel until now. I’m super-excited to be in the thick of it at long last. πŸ™‚

The notecards are for a giant family tree I am assembling on our bedroom wall to help me keep all these ancestors straight! The blue and green rows are two big families who lived near each other. Two of the green daughters married blue sons (I’m descended from one of those couples), and two blue granddaughters married green sons/grandsons. I have many more colors to add…

yvonne says:

Wow. Wow. Wow. How absolutely wonderful for you. I’m excited just thinking about reading about your “blue” and “green” relatives. Happy Writing to you. πŸ™‚

Amanda says:

I love that you use your bed as a desk! My desk is too piled with books to be useful, so I do the same thing. πŸ™‚ And what a great way to keep track of ancestral details! I’ve been using Ancestry.com, but you can only see so much, and only one person’s details at a time. I may have to use your notecard idea!

MelanieB says:

When I was teaching I used my bed as a desk to grade papers.

How fun to be writing a story based on your own family history.

Penny says:

That is going to be an awesome story – and what a gift to give your descendants!

Laurajean says:

Wait – where are the gummy bears? You know you won’t get anything done unless you have gummy bears around…

Laura, so true! There was a bag on the pillow just out of the shot. πŸ™‚