More MOOCs to explore

March 2, 2014 @ 4:09 am | Filed under:

moons

I’ve written before about our great experiences with various MOOCs one or more of us has taken via Coursera. Here’s another list of offerings, this time from FutureLearn.com. Courses that have caught my eye include:

Moons— “Explore the many moons of our Solar System.” This has Beanie written all over it. Eight weeks, starts March 17. The Open University.

Kitchen Chemistry— “Along the way you will use fruit tea to identify acids and alkalis, investigate chemicals that speed up reactions and experiment with electron transfer reactions. This should give you a feel for the world of molecules and an idea of some reactions. It should also introduce some methods to separate chemicals, to find out what chemicals are present in a mixture and ways to change chemicals from one form to another.” Six weeks, starts in April. University of East Anglia.

England in the Time of Richard III! Exclamation point mine. “Explore 15th century England through archaeology, history and literature against the backdrop of the excavation of Richard III.” Yes, please. Methinks it’s time to introduce Rose and Beanie to Josephine Tey’s Daughter of Time—a compulsive reread for both Jane and me—as a backdrop to this course. Six weeks, starts mid-2014. University of Leicester.

Those plus the Courseras we’re already signed up for—including a History of Art for Artists, Animators, and Gamers via CalArts, which is just getting rolling—may tide us over until the next iteration of ModPo kicks off in September. Boy do I love sending my kids to college around the world in our own living room.

highlights: week of may 15
    Comic-Con Recovery Time: Four Days
    Things we did on a Monday morning in September
    From the Wayback Machine: Parts of Speech Car Game
    Sharing the Wealth

Comments

Wonderful resources, thank you. But only one exclamation point for the Richard III course? I would use at least two.

I know, right?!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

Sarah says:

Thank you so much for sharing these great resources! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve learned about something wonderful from your blog. You have added so much to our schooling with the things you share here. Many, many thanks!

Tabatha says:

I have just started taking MOOC classes this year and I am getting so much out of them! One inspired this post: http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2014/02/brains.html. I also enjoyed reading about woad-covered howlers — thanks for that 🙂

jep says:

Our DIL is thinking about homeschooling our grands who are ages 3 and 1 right now. Your blog has so much information for me to share with her. Thank you ever so much!

Samantha Johnson says:

Thanks so much for posting these! I hadn’t heard about the course from CalArts–I gave the link to my sister and she signed up immediately; she’s so excited. Thanks!!! 🙂

Rachel says:

Ha – I’m also taking the Calarts class with my 12 yo who loves art, animation and gaming! We’re MOOC newbies so it’s been mind boggling to see him in conversation with classmates from around the world.

I was digging around your site a few days ago looking for earlier posts about MOOCs and online classes. Specifically some coding classes that I think your daughter took. Was I imagining that? Thanks!!

Rachel–that was probably Code Academy (part of Khan Academy). Beanie was doing an animation class there and I’ve used it myself for CSS skills. Great site! http://www.codecademy.com/learn

Melanie B says:

Richard III!!!! I probably won’t have time. But don’t I wish.

Christina says:

I know this is a very general question, but at what age/grade (ish) level have your kids begun exploring MOOCs? Did you begin by taking the classes with them and helping them with the assignments? I would so appreciate hearing more about how MOOCs has worked logistically for you and your kids.